Most people are living in limbo, with current daily life completely removed from the norm! In response to the changing climate, I have noticed a huge growth in the online discussion about mental health. Emphasis has been on areas such as routine, work life balance, mindfulness, healthy eating and combating anxiety and loneliness. This current spotlight on mental wellness has opened some engaging and very positive conversations.
When I reflect on the tactics that keep me feeling well and positive, it usually always comes back to the mind & body relationship! I’m very much an active person, I love the gym, dog walks, weekend adventures and anything that makes me feel energised and helps me feel balanced and focused.
If you told me just a couple of months ago that we would be restricted to one outdoors exercise pursuit a day, I would have panicked! However, I have decided to embrace the change, get creative and adapt to the current situation!
I have turned my kitchen into a dance studio and replaced the sofa with an indoor bike but if this isn’t for you, I have put together my other top tips for staying healthy while staying indoors!
Stuart’s Top Tips!
- Drink up! Aim at drinking 6-8 glasses of water (1.2 litres) a day
- The Government is recommending 1 hour of exercise a day – this could go for a walk in the park or a light jog (set a target & improve this each time)
- Two to three days a week is a solid amount of HIIT, as long as you build in 24 hours of rest and recovery between sessions. 20/30 minutes per session (Joe Wicks is excellent > see here
- Core work outs are great to do, and there are some great options on YouTube or Instagram you can find here
- If you love the gym and you don’t have a gym, then a quick 30/45-minute workout with some resistance bands! Throw on some good music in the bedroom, garden or even the kitchen and off you go! Check here
- If you have a smart watch then keep an eye on your steps! If not, there are plenty of step counting apps available to download. Keep up that 10,000 steps a day by taking that call on the move up or incorporating some swats into your house cleaning routine
- Create a makeshift stand-up desk with some boxes or books!
- If you have a set of stairs, why not set yourself a challenge!
- Try to beat your favourite football star video
- If you love the gym and you don’t have a gym, then a quick 30/45-minute workout with some resistance bands! Throw on some good music in the bedroom, garden or even the kitchen and off you go! Have a look here
- If an intense workout isn’t your style or perhaps you have a house full of little ones, why not check out Jo Wicks PE which is currently trending with kids
- Dig out the board games and why not give twister a go with the family! Even a good old fashion game of charades gets everyone off the sofa!
Good luck guys and keep on moving.